Friday 18 February 2011

Castles of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly

My new book, 'Castles of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly', will be out in the next few weeks. It's published by Truran.

I've so enjoyed writing this one. A romp through prehistoric fortifications; castles built by the Normans, and added to during medieval times; the Tudor and Stuart periods. Back in history those who dwelt in castles, the governing classes, were a load of selfish bastards all juggling for position and fighting among themselves. It's good to reflect on how far we've come.

I spent part of last summer visiting castle sites across the Duchy, mucking about in the sun amid beautiful scenery, taking notes and photos, stuffing my face with whatever I'd knocked up for a picnic. At Launceston I had such a pleasant time I nodded off in the park there, following my post-Castle survey of the town's pubs.

On wet days I sat in Redruth's Cornish Studies Library. It's cheaper and less humiliating than stretching cups of tea for three hours in a greasy spoon. Useful too, because the library contains oodles of stuff on castles. Big thanks to the staff; you're great, and really patient.

Truran are also darlings, which helps. They work closely with their authors and once again it's been a joy. This writing malarkey's OK.


No comments: