Wednesday 7 August 2013

Dave the Friendly Dolphin

Here’s a true story. 

This summer the Devon coastal village of Combe Martin has a new resident. Christened Dave by local people, a playful dolphin has made his home in the village’s bay. He’s often seen performing his aquabatic routines, and likes to zoom around canoeists and kayakers.

Recently Lucy Watkins, 14, was out kayaking with her grandparents, Nina and Mike. She’d been watching the dolphin’s antics for several minutes before he dived down and came up with a huge fish, dropping it next to her.

At first she was reluctant to take it, but the friendly dolphin nudged it towards her, before reappearing with his own dinner: a sea bass. Lucy said: “He definitely wanted me to have his fish. He first dropped it 20ft away but then pushed it to within 5ft of my kayak. Everyone on the beach was watching and we caused quite a stir when we paddled in with the cod.”

Nina added: “If I hadn't seen it myself I'd never have believed it. Perhaps he was lonely and wanted human company. He was with us for about two hours. 

“It seemed rude to refuse him, so we took the fish and had cod and chips for supper. It was massive - I've still got half in the freezer.”

As Lucy said: “To have this wonderful creature give me a fish he would usually have for his own dinner made me feel on top of the world.”
 

No comments: