This lady wears the uniform of a Volunteer Aid Detachment nurse, and came from the St Agnes area. The photo was taken just post-war; she’s wearing her British War Medal (to our left), and Victory Medal.
During the war, Cornwall's biggest military hospital was created in the old workhouse at Truro. As more and more wounded men arrived home from the fighting, all over Britain auxiliary hospitals were also established. In Cornwall these hospitals were:
- Camborne Auxiliary Hospital, Tregenna
- Redruth Officers’ Auxiliary Hospital, Scorrier
- Penzance V.A. Hospital, Morrab Road, Penzance
- Auxiliary Hospital, Launceston
- Auxiliary Naval Hospital, Truro
- Auxiliary Hospital for Officers, Fowey
- Trefusis, Falmouth
- Convalescent Hospital for Discharged Sailors and Soldiers, Newquay.